Careers in the public services (such as the police, fire brigade, army, local authorities, ambulance service or marines) can be incredibly rewarding. Our Level 2 Extended Certificate in Public Services programme is designed to enable you to gain a broad knowledge of the sector while introducing you to the essential skills and level of physical fitness you need to enter most public service organisations. Alternatively, the course will enable you to progress on to higher level study. You will gain valuable team-working, problem-solving and communication skills by taking part in navigation activities. You'll benefit from trips to fire stations, meet the marines and local army reserve units, and hear from guest speakers from the police and other public service sectors. On visits to public service organisations you will gain knowledge from key personnel and find out about career opportunities.
This qualification will form part of a study programme which will include exclusive access to our Sports Academy and life skills programme, maths & English tuition, tutorial support, work experience, and employability and study skills. Maths and English skills will be embedded into your vocational learning and in addition, if you do not already have a grade C/4 or above in maths and/or English, you will attend a GCSE or Functional Skills class as part of your weekly timetable.
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade E/2 or above (including English and Maths) or
- Successful completion of a full Level 1 study programme
- Unit breakdown, Progression & More...
You will be assessed via a range of methods including worksheets, written/oral questions, external tests, projects, reports, presentations and practical observations. You will build a portfolio of evidence as you progress through the course.
Aims of the course
The aims of the course are to enable students to:
- Gain an understanding of the public service sectors
- Discover the levels of fitness required for each of the uniformed services and how to improve your health and fitness for entry into these services
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in team-building activities and educational visits
- Develop skills in navigation and map-reading in an outdoor environment
- Have the opportunity to volunteer in the local community and get involved in fundraising activities
- Develop a range of essential workplace skills
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Apply to join the uniformed public services such as the fire brigade, ambulance service, army, police or prison service
- Progress onto the Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Uniformed Public Services
You will be taught through classroom learning, workshops, lectures, guest speakers from public service organisations and off-site trips
Career options on completion The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Apply to join the uniformed public services, such as the fire brigade, ambulance service, army, police and the prison service
- Progress onto the Level 3 BTEC 90-Credit Diploma in Uniformed Public Services