Kitchen & Catering Assistants
Workers in this unit group assist in the preparation and service of food and beverages in restaurants, cafés and other eating establishments, and perform various cleaning, fetching and carrying tasks.
- Cleans or prepares food for cooks by hand or machine
- Carries meat, vegetables and other foodstuffs from delivery van to storeroom and from storeroom to kitchen
- Cleans and tidies service area, kitchen surfaces, crockery, cutlery, glassware, kitchen utensils and disposes of rubbish
- Prepares and serves beverages and light refreshments, accepts payment and gives change
- Keeps service area well stocked.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically received on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 1 and 2.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £16,000 per annum and can progress up to £34,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 60,527 employed Kitchen & Catering Assistants in the region.
- Kitchen Porters and Catering Assistants East Surrey Hospital, Canada Avenue, Redhill, RH1, RH1 5RH
- Kitchen Assistant - School Catering Harpenden, Hertfordshire
- Bank Support Staff CM1 7SJ
- Warehouse Operative (Various Shifts Available) Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, hp20 1ru
- Kitchen Assistant Saffron Walden, Essex