Kitchen & Catering Assistants
Workers in this unit group assist in the preparation and service of food and beverages in restaurants, cafés and other eating establishments, and perform various cleaning, fetching and carrying tasks.
- Cleans or prepares food for cooks by hand or machine
- Carries meat, vegetables and other foodstuffs from delivery van to storeroom and from storeroom to kitchen
- Cleans and tidies service area, kitchen surfaces, crockery, cutlery, glassware, kitchen utensils and disposes of rubbish
- Prepares and serves beverages and light refreshments, accepts payment and gives change
- Keeps service area well stocked.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically received on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 1 and 2.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £16,000 per annum and can progress up to £34,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 61,091 employed Kitchen & Catering Assistants in the region.
- Kitchen porter/catering assistant Iver, Buckinghamshire
- School Catering / Kitchen Assistant Barking and Dagenham, London, RM7 0PH
- Catering Assistant/Kitchen Assistant Crystal Palace, South East London
- Catering Assistant Kitchen Porter Cork, SW1A 1AA
- Kitchen Porter (Catering Assistant) | Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Milton Keynes, MK6 5LD