Hospital porters perform various manual tasks in hospitals to assist nursing and domestic staff with the care of patients.
- Lifts, escorts and wheels patients between hospital wards
- Assists with the delivery of meals, laundry, medical supplies and post to the wards or theatres
- Moves hospital equipment and furniture
- Collects and disposes of refuse from wards and other departments
- Assists with unloading and delivery of supplies.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. Entrants must typically pass a medical examination and may be required to hold a driving licence.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £21,000 per annum and can progress up to £26,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 2,361 employed Hospital Porters in the region.