Playworkers deliver and facilitate play opportunities for children in a range of formal and informal settings including play groups, play schemes, free play locations, and in pre- and after-school activities.
- Supervises children’s games and encourages the development of physical, social and language skills
- Provides play areas and prepares materials for a wide range of children’s activities
- Encourages children’s independence, self-confidence and social interaction
- Organises and supervises children on excursions
- Organises and supervises children’s activities in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, deals accordingly with injuries and emergencies
- Puts away equipment and cleans premises after use
- Liaises with parents, carers and colleagues and keeps appropriate records.
Entry may not depend upon academic qualifications, although some employers will expect candidates to possess or be working towards a relevant qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Child Care and Education are available at Levels 2 and 3. CRB clearance is mandatory.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £17,000 per annum and can progress up to £22,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 4,623 employed Playworkers in the region.
- Playworker-SC4 E8 1DY
- Breakfast and After School Club Playworker Horley, Surrey, RH6 9AU
- Breakfast and After School Club Playworker Cheam, Surrey, SM2 7NA
- Breakfast/After School Club Playworkers - Southcote Primary School Reading, Berkshire
- Breakfast/After School Club Playworkers - Thameside Primary School Reading, Berkshire