Course Advice

020 3757 3000


Back to BTEC Technical Diploma in Childrens Play Learning and Development (Early Years Practitioner) (Level 2) Programme


Playworkers deliver and facilitate play opportunities for children in a range of formal and informal settings including play groups, play schemes, free play locations, and in pre- and after-school activities.


  • Supervises children’s games and encourages the development of physical, social and language skills
  • Provides play areas and prepares materials for a wide range of children’s activities
  • Encourages children’s independence, self-confidence and social interaction
  • Organises and supervises children on excursions
  • Organises and supervises children’s activities in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, deals accordingly with injuries and emergencies
  • Puts away equipment and cleans premises after use
  • Liaises with parents, carers and colleagues and keeps appropriate records.

Entry Requirements

Entry may not depend upon academic qualifications, although some employers will expect candidates to possess or be working towards a relevant qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Child Care and Education are available at Levels 2 and 3. CRB clearance is mandatory.

What could I earn?

Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £11,000 per annum and can progress up to £22,000 per annum.

Is it in growth or decline?

There are currently 4,778 employed Playworkers in the region.

Apply Now

Search for a course or your favourite subject, find more information and begin your application.


Coronavirus update

Lewisham College is closely monitoring all communications and guidance as it becomes available. This information is for students and staff and reflects updates from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Public Health England (PHE). We are prepared to escalate our contingency arrangements in the event of change.

The government is monitoring the situation closely and will continue to work with the WHO and international community. For staff and students it remains business as usual across our sites and our workplaces.

Please note that, at present, this advice refers only to arrivals from Wuhan, and not the remainder of China. If you have returned from Wuhan you should:

General guidance for those planning visits to Wuhan or other destinations in China

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) maintains updated travel advice for those planning a trip to Wuhan or other destinations in China. This is available at:


This advice is derived from The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data on a daily basis at 2pm until further notice:

Supplementary Q&A for individuals wishing to know more around how the UK is managing the risk: