Printers set up and operate various small offset printing presses and digital printing processes.
- Positions form or plate on machine, checks alignments and sets press
- Mixes and loads inks and solvents, loads paper and regulates during print run
- Prints and examines proof copies and adjusts press as necessary
- Starts or directs start of printing run and monitors machine to ensure that printing proceeds smoothly
- Pours colour into machine or directly on to screen and positions screen over item
- Operates squeegee by hand or machine to press colour through screen
- Dips wooden pattern block into colour tray and lays different colours on top of, and adjacent to, others to form the required pattern
- Produces, transfers and outputs digital print images
- Maintains, adjusts, repairs and cleans machine
- Keeps production records.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. National Traineeships and apprenticeships in Machine Printing are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £24,000 per annum and can progress up to £29,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 5,339 employed Printers in the region.