Roofers, Roof Tilers & Slaters
Job holders in this unit group cover roofs and exterior walls with felting, sheeting, slates, tiles and thatch to provide a waterproof surface.
- Measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material
- Cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size
- Lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound
- Lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material
- Seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £27,000 per annum and can progress up to £34,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 4,055 employed Roofers, Roof Tilers & Slaters in the region.