Gardeners & L&scape Gardeners
Gardeners and landscape gardeners cultivate flowers, trees, shrubs and other plants in public and private gardens, construct features to improve the appearance of existing terrain, and cut and lay turf.
- Levels ground and installs drainage system as required
- Prepares soil and plants and transplants, prunes, weeds and otherwise tends plant life
- Protects plants from pests and diseases
- Cuts and lays turf using hand and machine tools and repairs damaged turf
- Prepares or interprets garden design plans
- Moves soil to alter surface contour of land using mechanical equipment and constructs paths, rockeries, ponds and other features
- Performs general garden maintenance.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications are also available.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £21,000 per annum and can progress up to £113,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 13,129 employed Gardeners & L&scape Gardeners in the region.