National Government Administrative Occupations
Job holders in this unit group undertake a variety of administrative and clerical duties in national government departments, and in local offices of national government departments.
- Assists senior government officers with policy work, external liaison or general administrative work
- Undertakes administrative duties specific to the operation of HM Revenue and Customs offices, Job Centres, Benefits Agency offices and other local offices of national government
- Maintains and updates correspondence, documents, data and other records for storage in files or on computer
- Classifies, sorts and files publications, correspondence etc. in offices and libraries
- Responds to telephone enquiries and other forms of correspondence
- Performs miscellaneous clerical tasks such as proof reading printed material, drafting letters, taking minutes etc.
Entry is possible to junior grades within this group with GCSEs/S grades, and/or relevant practical experience; higher grades require A levels/H grades or equivalent, although many entrants are graduates. NVQs/SVQs, apprenticeships and professional qualifications are available for certain areas of work.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £25,000 per annum and can progress up to £29,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 32,427 employed National Government Administrative Occupations in the region.