Inspectors Of St&ards & Regulations
Inspectors of standards and regulations undertake investigations and inspections to verify and ensure compliance with acts, regulations and other requirements in respect of: buildings; weights, measures and trade descriptions; the installation and safety of electrical, gas and water supplies and equipment; marine pollution, ships’ structures, equipment and accommodation; the treatment of animals; the operation of commercial vehicles; the welfare, health and safety in factories and all work sites subject to the provisions in the Factory Acts.
- Examines building plans to ensure compliance with local, statutory and other requirements
- Inspects building structures, facilities and sites to determine suitability for habitation, compliance with regulations and for insurance purposes
- Inspects measuring and similar equipment in factories and visits street traders, shops, garages and other premises to check scales, weights and measuring equipment
- Inspects factories and other work sites to ensure adequate cleanliness, temperature, lighting and ventilation, checks for fire hazards and inspects storage and handling arrangements of dangerous materials
- Visits sites during construction and inspects completed installations of electricity, gas or water supply
- Draws attention to any irregularities or infringements of regulations and advises on ways of rectifying them
- Investigates industrial accidents or any complaints made by the public
- Verifies the weight of commercial vehicles, checks driver’s licence and hours worked
- Samples and tests river water, checks and advises on premises discharging effluent to prevent pollution
- Checks fishing licences and prevents illegal fishing
- Visits premises where animals are kept, advises on animal care and investigates complaints
- Undertakes other inspections including chemicals, drugs, flight operations, etc.
- Prepares reports and recommendations on all inspections made and recommends legal action where necessary.
Entrants usually possess A levels/H grades, a degree or equivalent qualification, together with experience gained in employment. Professional qualifications, membership of professional bodies, postgraduate diplomas and NVQs/ SVQs at Levels 3 and 4 are available and may be required in some occupations. On-the-job training is available in some areas.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £29,000 per annum and can progress up to £34,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 5,054 employed Inspectors Of St&ards & Regulations in the region.