Programmers & Software Development Professionals
Programmers and software development professionals design, develop, test, implement and maintain software systems in order to meet the specifications and business objectives of the information system; they also design and develop specialist software e.g. for computer games.
- Examines existing software and determines requirements for new/modified systems in the light of business needs
- Undertakes feasibility study to design software solutions
- Writes and codes individual programs according to specifications
- Develops user interfaces
- Tests and corrects software programs
- Writes code for specialist programming for computer games, (for example, artificial intelligence, 3D engine development)
- Implements and evaluates the software
- Plans and maintains database structures
- Writes operational documentation and provides subsequent support and training for users.
Entrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £43,000 per annum and can progress up to £51,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 25,425 employed Programmers & Software Development Professionals in the region.