Publicans & Managers Of Licensed Premises
Publicans and managers of licensed premises organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources of public houses (non-residential and residential) and bar and catering facilities at non-residential clubs.
- Arranges purchase of alcoholic and other beverages, bar snacks, cigarettes and other items and ensures that stocks are stored in proper conditions
- Supervises bar, kitchen and cleaning staff and, if necessary, assists with the serving of drinks
- Observes licensing laws and other statutory regulations and regulates behaviour of customers as necessary
- Maintains financial records for the establishment
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs.
No formal academic qualifications are required. Relevant experience is advantageous and candidates must be over 18 years of age and complete the personal licence holders’ qualification. Larger chains offer accelerated promotion for holders of degrees or equivalent qualifications. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs relevant to licensed premises management are available at Levels 2 to 4.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £26,000 per annum and can progress up to £58,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 4,681 employed Publicans & Managers Of Licensed Premises in the region.